Sunday, May 15, 2022

Gygax 75# Challenge: Choosing the right TTRPG system.

So the first task on the check list is choosing a TTRPG to use for my OSR Australian Campaign. I've had a small amount of experience with many of the more popular OSR system and have trimmed the list to three choices. 

  • OSE (Old School Essentials)
  • Swords and Wizardry
  • DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classic)

I've had the most experience with DCC having judged a handful of 0 level funnels and running some of the first level adventures. I haven't been able to run a OSE or Swords and Wizardry game yet but have always had the itch.

As I'll be using the Barrowmaze megadungeon within the campaign I'm looking to run something that requires little to no conversion. While converting the LL (Labyrinth Lord) rules found with Barrowmaze to DCC isn't hard I'm trying to cut down on time as much as possible.

DCC is brilliant for it's gonzo, off the walls style of play. The game feels like every crazy story that has happened at a table blended with a pint of peyote. It's for this reason that while I love it I don't think it will fit in well with the type of campaign I look to run.

With DCC out of the draw it comes down to OSE and S&W. Honestly I'm stumped, both systems could fit well with the campaign I want to build, it's a 50/50 split. Only one way to solve this.

We have a winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

TTRPG creations: 366/730: Mok'Pok

Pink and purple skin pulsates in patterns. Large eyes leer in loops, full figure eights. Unblinking eye contact draws the victim in. A timid...